Friday, December 9, 2011

hot tea...

Ivan had a school project, which was to learn everything about an English Christmas.
Providing an English snack was part of the project.
Hands down setting fire to a figgy pudding was tops on the list!
That would be EPIC!
Setting fire to the pudding is an English custom used to scare away evil spirits.
It was also a way to keep the firemen busy!
No matter how you garnish it,  it is still a mussy, fruity, sticky glob.
I seriously doubted that any of the kids would eat it.

Ivan and I settled for a nice English toffee, and a peppermint tea.

English toffee is incredibly easy to make.  This is the recipe I used.
Here are a few hints...
1. line the cookie sheet with wax paper
2. stir the butter and sugar constantly!
3. be patient, do not remove mixture from heat until you get that true toffee  color!

The rest is pretty easy!

The kiddos seamed to like the toffee, the tea was a different story.
lots and lots and lots of sugar!
Ivan supervising
excuse me ma'am, but this tea is hot!
FYI southerns drink their tea iced!
,
I did bring in graham crackers (which the kiddos called Honey Maids),
they ate the entire box.
This is Ivan's best-ie.

The house is starting to come together nicely. It is starting to feel like a home. I have just finished painting the kitchen and dining area a lovely ivory color.  I do love it! It is very different than the bright colors I generally use!
a little preview...the area was pretty messy to photograph the entire space.
The living room is just about finished.
I am still moving pictures and other decor around....it's a process!

I need a tree skirt!
a reading elf!
peace out!

1 comment:

  1. love the look on the black kid's face in fifth pic down and the reading jester.!!

    am happy Ivan has a best-ie. Is Ivan taking Spanish in school.....he should; easy to learn at his age...and an easy language anyway!!

    ReplyDelete