Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Have you ever

had that perfect sweater? that was the perfect color? perfect fit? so soft? 
went with like 3 of your dresses?
I have that sweater.  I wear it a lot!  Then the un-thinkable happened (oh, wait it is thinkable.... I have a 9 year old boy), it got stuck in my son's skateboard wheels. Um' yup.
I did manage to get all the black grease off. 
I must apologize for the bad (night time) photos,
 (I generally like to photograph by daylight).
I know most of you are thinking "trash it",
but really...  it is pretty close to perfect.

I have always been inspired by  these folk at Alabama Chanin.
This is a very, very simplified version of one of their most basic ideas.

I got into my stash of wool felt.  I chose a light pink, buttery yellow, and a dark teal.
Using a circle template I traced different size circles on each color, then carefully cut them out.
I arranged them to my liking....then pressed them with a hot iron.
Really the hardest part is next; sewing in circles. Super hard.
don't over think it....you really need to become one with the circle(seriously).
 Ask any of my friends, and they will tell you the first thing I say about sewing,
"it will never be perfect".

IT'S NOT PERFECT.....
BUT IT SURE IS CUTE!

So, I want to share with you one of my thrift-ing treasures.....
Thrift-ing has it's good days and it's horrid days! Well, on this thrift-ing trip it was a GREAT day!
all of my "designer" friends should recognize this as
the Herman Miller Aeron Chair.
I remember when they released this chair, all of "us designers" fell in love.
 However, if I remember right it was around $1000.00,
(for a short time they were giving designers a chance to buy it for $500.00)
still way out of my price range
hem..... yup $34.95.
You can buy it here on sale for $869.00
The first thing I did when I saw it,
was flip it over and check for the appropriate tags,
and of course the Herman Miller mark.
Yes, they were all there.
.....and I must say it is just as comfortable today,
as it was when I first sat in it 10 years ago.
YAY ME!

1 comment: