Wednesday, November 23, 2011

phew.....

I finally found the Nikon!
It's been hard to document the coming and goings of my life,
with my good camera hiding under Bob's recliner!

I wanted to share a recipe with you(but first a short story).
People are so nice down here. Everywhere I go people are asking me if I need help.
I am not exaggerating! The other day I was in Pier One, I got asked like 6 times
(they were not asking everyone else).
I think I need to study my face in the mirror, I obviously have a helpless look about me.

Anyway,  I was in the "make your own pie" isle in the grocery store(with my helpless face on).
A woman walks up to me and asks me if I have ever baked with cherries before(how random is that).
I replied no. She then proceeds to help me fill my cart with the needed ingredients to make the best, and easiest cherry dessert ever.  I just stood there with my "face" letting her proceed. She continued to tell me the recipe 3 times, and was off to find more helpless people.  I must say, it was very easy and yummy.


dump 2 cans of cherries in a baking dish

evenly dump one box of cake mix over the cherries

slice up a stick of butter and place over cake mix

you need nuts (most kinds will do, I had almonds).  Use coffee grinder to chop em' up.

evenly dump on top....bake at 350 for an hour.
There you have it, a cherrie dump cake.

We have had a wonder spell of weather here. Sunny and warm every day!
Sunday at the beach

We rode our bikes, which was fun, but impossible on the soft sand.

The light at the beach never disappoints!

Our Sunday outing didn't end at the beach, we decided to walk downtown to try a new restaurant.
We found a place on 4th street called Espana.
It took a bit of time to figure out how to get into the restaurant.

but it is all about the journey.

Um, YUM!!!! Seafood Paella !!!!

Bob had the scallops. 

I highly recommend this restaurant!
Spanish food at it's best.  Entrees are in the $20.00.
Ivan had chicken strips and spanish rice, best chicken strips ever!

photo by Ivan.

One of my favorite parts of island living is the need for a boat to get to some destinations.  My favorite area to shop off-island is Jacksonville Beach. They have some really good "house-ware" shops.  The easiest way to get to Jacksonville Beach is by car ferry.  I've taken the ferry about 4 times, each time I didn't have my camera, but yesterday I did!



It is a lovely way to travel!  Have a lovely Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

  1. And here I sit looking at eight inches of snow on my porch--Mother Nature's little Thanksgiving treat, methinks. All that sand down there is making me restless. Happy Thanksgiving to you and the family!!

    Hugs,
    Judi

    ReplyDelete